Friday 31 January 2014

review :: Heights of Desire by Mara White



Oh, mamacita... This book, you guys!!! This. Book! I felt like I was one bad mamma jamma playing with fire and I loved it! So sinful, so delicious, so naughty yet nice. It had the perfect mix of fear and recklessness, the right blend of heart and steam. My mouth waters just thinking about the follow up... You can't leave me like this, Mara! I NEED!!! 

First of all, how delicious is this cover?! I LOVE! So scorching hot without being tacky; it got me pumped up to read the book immediately, pushing it straight to the top of my (loooong) TBR list! If you give me an older woman meets younger man premise with a steam factor of 10000+, you can be darn sure I'm gonna jump on it faster than Jaylee jumped on Kate... *wink*

Truthfully, it took me a while to get into the story at first because it felt kind of rushed to me, like they met one second and were shoving their tongues down each other's mouths the next. I didn't feel like I "knew" them well enough to be invested in their story yet. BUT... Boy, I was in for a shock because I did not even remotely imagine what laid ahead! I really didn't really know what to expect other than knowing the book portrayed the story of Kate Champion, a married 42 year old mother of 2 precious girls and Jaylee Inoa, a 23 year old latino who meet by chance and can't deny the inexplicable pull that draws them together almost right off the bat. Crazy, right!? Can you imagine?! Fanning myself!

It does occur to me that it’s absolutely ridiculous that I’m holding his hand. I have no idea what I’d say if my husband walked around the corner or even a friend for that matter. What would I do, introduce him? I don’t even know him. Oh this is the kid from the thug-ground that I’ve been thinking about incessantly for a week. I can’t stop because I think he’s invaded every cell in my body. And now, I’m holding his hand – why you ask? Well, because I’m fucking crazy.

I quickly shook off this uneasy feeling and became more and more invested in the story without realizing it. Faster than I could blink, 11 p.m. came around, then midnight... then 1 a.m... 2 a.m... I simply couldn't put it down! Isn't that what you want from a book?! To be so swallowed into the story that you need the next page like your next breath? LOL, dramatic but true, right?! That's what Kate and Jaylee's story awoke in me. Like a typical affair, the lies start to stumble out of Kate's mouth and she's stuck in this web that keeps growing bigger and bigger.

“Jaylee babysits, Carmen. He’s a friend of Stephani’s. She recommended him for days that she has classes and can’t watch the girls,” I stumble through yet another lie.

I loved Jaylee's naivety behind his rough exterior. This is a man who is in love for the first time with a woman twice his age, who lives on the wrong side of town with his grandma, mama and sister, basically supporting them all, who associates with the wrong crowd but still thinks a good life for him, Kate and her two daughters is possible. He believes in it so hard that you find yourself believing in it and praying for it to happen just as much as he does! He's a sweetie and has no inhibitions to introduce Kate to his family for who she is, frosty reception from mama Janet and sister Janinie be damned!

“Kate, qué gusto. Jaylee nos ha contado mucho de tí,” she gushes.
What could he possibly have told them? My age? That I’m married with children? Oh, God I feel sick. I’m a bad person.
“Bella y profesional,” she says and squeezes my hands in hers.

I love that they spoke in Spanish and that I understood it all, being Portuguese and a bit "latina" myself, hehe. His grandma is so nice and Jaylee is so proud to introduce the woman he loves to his family! Swoooon! I love this small but cozy and loving family vibe, away from all the cold glitz glam and money Kate is used to.

I reach out and squeeze Jaylee’s thigh. I’m honored that he’s brought me here, that he has enough confidence in our relationship to make it public to the people that matter most. He puts his hand on top of mine and drinks me in with his golden eyes. My heart surges in response.

Just one more sweet and sugar tidbit for you guys... Mamá Gladys and Jaylee are so sweet together, sigh. He has a heart so big and warm that instantly made me root for him and Kate extra hard.

“Mamá, no te dijé que era la mujer más bella?” he says. It’s Gladys that he calls Mamá. (...) “No te creas, Mamá, esa se va a quedar conmigo pa’ siempre, ya tu verás.”

"Didn't I tell you she was the most beautiful woman? She's gonna stay with me forever"... Sigh!!! Jaylee, you have my heart! BUT YOU GUYS! Hello! Can I have your attention, please?! The sex in this book is caliente!!! Muy, muy caliente! Well, yeah, so I DO enjoy this "forbidden fruit" kinda thing, shoot me! *wink* But to be fair, I really needed the book to be more than just "oh, we're not supposed to be together but we can't resist each other and we're gonna hump like bunnies until her husband finds out". I needed more emotional depth than that, and Mara sure stepped up and delivered! The way Jaylee looks at Kate like she holds all the power and gorgeousness in the world...

“Jaylee, open your eyes.”
His eyes pop open and he looks deeply into me with a devotion that is humbling. I pull him to me again and gently guide him inside of me. He closes his eyes and moans. He rocks his hips softly and pushes himself deeper. His mouth goes to my neck, my breasts.

But then...

But no matter how hard I try to pretend otherwise, the mood has definitely changed. My arousal is heightened by the other man’s presence. I feel slutty and lascivious and the performer inside me, whom I never knew existed, is more than obliging to put on a show. (...) I assume Jaylee will come in my mouth but when he stiffens again, he withdraws himself completely and I quickly realize that he’s aiming for something more dramatic due to our newfound audience. Jaylee wants a money shot.

And THAT is just a small teaser! Phew, it is hot in here or what?! I need several cold showers! Teehee! While this book is heavy on the steam and the love, it's also heavy on the drama and suspense. I found myself hanging by a small thread at times, fearing what blow Mara was gonna deliver next. I'm not much of a mystery/drama/thriller kinda girl at all, but I loved the twists in this book. You just know that someone like Jaylee won't have things delivered to him on a silver platter, and it's heartwarming to see what great lengths and heights Kate is willing to go to just to be with Jaylee. Oh, and that twist plus Robert's malicious ways... That sneaky, vile snake! But not to end this review on a bad note...

Instead, I wrap my spent body around his and whisper, “I belong to you” into his ear. He holds me tightly, ferociously, and remains inside me long after he’s softened and his desire has abated.

Deep sigh... This book is so exceptional in its own unique little way and Ms. White genuinely did so good! It started a little shakily for me but when it picked up, dang, it picked up! One of my favorite reads of 2014 without a doubt and I'll be pining for the next book like a drop of water in the desert! Don't leave me hanging, Mara... *pouty face*!

♥♥♥

RATING :: 4.5 stars
SEX SCENES :: Very steamy
GENRE :: Contemporary romance, dark, erotica
AUDIENCES :: 18+
LENGTH :: 280 pages
HAPPY ENDING :: To be continued...
SEQUEL :: Yes }

No comments:

Post a Comment